Art Object of the Week: Tie-Dyed Will Never Die!

Art Object of the Week: Tie-Dyed Will Never Die!

Roman Signer's Kitfox Experimental at KINDL - Centre for Contemporary Art Berlin,
Sept. 14, 2014 - June 28, 2015

My friend, the curator Faith Powell, brought beer into the museum in a newly opened exhibition, Brewing Culture: The Craft of Beer at the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon (USA). In honor of my transatlantic friendship, I went to see some great art by Roman Signer in the former brewery complex KINDL in Neuköln, Berlin, now turned into a new Centre for Contemporary Art. As a Belgian, I’m always asked about beer as if it must be my natural disposition to know all about it. I don’t, but I can have this sudden craving for beer in the middle of a hot summer day and I like to think it’s because I’m Belgian. I will talk more in detail about my love for Roman Signer’s art soon, and about Belgian beer probably in the foreseeable future. But for now I would like to make a little detour and tell you about my trip to Oregon last summer, where I discovered that the art of the tie-dyed T-shirt is still alive. You might be familiar with the Portlandia-Phenomenon- a place where young people go to retire, act as if Bush never happened, and still wear do-it-yourself tie-dyed t-shirts as we used to in the 1990s. That's what is great about the United States, there are all these parallel worlds happening (for the 1980s go to Santa Cruz!). In Oregon I celebrated my 36th birthday at Voodoo Doughnuts and climbed Rock Smith with my University of Oregon tie-dyed T-shirt. 


With my friend curator Faith Powell climbing Rock Smith in Oregon, outfit: a tie-dye T-shirt from the University of Oregon, Eugene

Do you remember the 90s?





FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST